New 7FS Site
Leave e-mail address if you would like a reply
Login  |  Register
Page: 1

SuperDave
1 post
Aug 29, 2002
3:04 PM

To everyone who visits, this is the new 7th Fighter Squadron Reunion Organization website.  Our old site was www.7-fs.cityslide.com.  They have upgrade their site and now we have to pay.  This should have the same things as the old site and even more.  I hope you enjoy.

TSgt "Super Dave" Bamburg

eatonjr1jk
1 post
Apr 16, 2003
9:37 PM
Hey Super Dave, Does anyone know if Col. James Watkins is
still around the Fort Worth, Tx. area? I lost track of him
a few years ago. I used to live next door to his daughter
in Haltom City, Tx. I built him a model of "Charlsie Gene",
his P-38L. I would like to speak with him again . If you
know his E-mail address or Pass mine to him and he could
get hold of me. Thank you for time. James
Anonymous
Jun 20, 2003
4:10 PM
Hi

I'm trying to learn about a pilot killed in 1945 from the 7th Fighter Squadron. He is from my hometown area in Iowa. I wrote Maxwell AFB historical center and also obtained his Individual Deceased Personnel File (IDPF) from Virginai so have some detail. I'm hoping there are still people around who can eduacate me a little better. Incidently he had a brother killed flying a P-51 in Germany a couple months before and the parents arranged to have the bodies brought to Iowa on the same day in 1948 for the service before permanent burial!

Would there be any members of this reunion group who knew Lt Herman?

2nd LT Joel G Herman 0-779458 died of 3rd degree burns from a plane crash at Gostee Air Strip in Lingayen, Luzon 27 May 1945. He was buried the 29th of May at Santa Barbara No #1 Cemetary beside PFC Barney J Ross 35142990 who died 27 MAY 1945 also from 7th Fighter Squadron. PFC Ross is buried in the Manila cemetary adminitered by the ABMC and Lt Herman was brought back to the US. Not sure how long Lt Herman was in the squadron but it was only a few months at most.

Would you have any details on how this crash occured? Could it have been a cargo/passenger plane vice a fighter since a PFC also died that day? Where was Gostee Air Strip? It doesn't show up as a name of someone buried in the Philippines or as a Philippine town on the internet.

Appreciate any assistance with this.

Best Regards
Bert

I would pay for any materials copied. My mailing address is

SgtMaj H O Caloud
15th MEU (SOC)
UIC 43609
FPO AP 96608-3609
ELLVA L MATHRE
Sep 01, 2003
2:53 PM
OF THE PILOT THAT WAS KILLED AND FROM IOWA, COULD IT BE THE SON OF BOB & BETTY GROVES. I AM SURE HIS LAST NAME IS GROVES BUT CAN'T REMEMBER THE FIRST. MY HUSBAND WAS MILDEN "MIKE"MATHRE. I HOPE I CAN BE OF SOME HELP. ELVA
Good Email Address
Sep 01, 2003
6:10 PM
Elva, could you give a different email address. I'm having trouble replying to your email you sent.

Super Dave
ELVA MATHRE
Feb 21, 2004
4:29 AM
DAVE YOU REQUESTED MY E-MAIL ADDRESS, MARILYNNMEMORIES@AOL.COM I HOPE THIS HELP'S OUT. HOPE ALL IS WELL WITH YOU. HAVE A GREAT DAY, ELVA
Anonymous
Dec 15, 2004
9:22 AM
On 20 Jun 03 SgtMaj H O Caloud, 15th MEU (SOC), UIC 43609, FPO AP 96608-3609 asked about a 2nd LT Joel G Herman 0-779458 who died of 3rd degree burns from a plane crash at Gostee Air Strip in Lingayen, Luzon 27 May 1945.
Caloud advised that Lt Herman was buried the 29th of May at Santa Barbara No #1 Cemetery beside PFC Barney J Ross 35142990 who died 27 MAY 1945 also from 7th Fighter Squadron. PFC Ross is buried in the Manila cemetery administered by the ABMC and Lt Herman was brought back to the US.
Caloud requested any details on how this crash occurred? Could it have been a cargo/passenger plane vice a fighter since a PFC also died that day? Where was Gostee Air Strip? It doesn't show up as a name of someone buried in the Philippines or as a Philippine town on the internet.
My brother was 2nd Lt. Fenton Gay Epling, Jr. was a pilot with the 7th Fighter Squadron, 49th Fighter Group, when he was killed in a crash at Hollandia, New Guinea on July 17, 1944. I posted a notice in the “Current Guest Book” on November 14, 2004 seeking info on my brother. I got several hits almost immediately. One hit led me to a book about the 49th Fighter Group: PROTECT & AVENGE, The 49th Fighter Group in World War II, S.W. Ferguson & William K. Pascalis, Schiffer Military/Aviation History, Atglen, PA.

There are number of references to my brother in PROTECT & AVENGE to include his fatal crash.

I just checked and there is a description of Lt Herman’s crash and his and Ross’s death on page 338 of PROTECT & AVENGE.

Bill Epling
Msgt. Asch
Jun 07, 2005
12:04 PM
Great web site. However the 7th Sq Aces list fails to list Major R. W. Aschenbrener with 10 Kills. All of which were single engine fighters. Once again great web site.

Best Wishes,
Son of said Ace.
SuperDave
6 posts
Jun 11, 2005
8:25 AM
Thank you for that information. Alot of the stuff on the site I got from the squadron and books on the 49th. Could by send me a bio, and pictures I can use on the site, especially things with the 7FS symbol on them. My link is on the front page, or send them to diamonds642@comcast.net.

Super Dave
Msgt. Asch
Jun 15, 2005
2:11 PM
I would like to correct myself. After talking with Dad ( Major Aschenbrener ) I was informed that all of his kills were with the 8th sq. ( The Blacksheep ) Once again thanks for keeping the History of the 49th alive.

Best Wishes,
Msgt. Asch

Post a Message
Guest Name

(8192 Characters Left)

Please enter the code shown above and click the 'Post Message' button. This additional step is required to help protect against message spam.

Google