Header Graphic
Subscribe to Free Monthly Newsletters > October Newsletter
October Newsletter

Oct 29, 2004

Here is the 7th newsletter for Sept/Oct. I removed all the
so it may be easier to handle. John



There may be many errors because I am rushed.
I hope many, that planned to attend the reunion
receive this in time, so they can plan to go. I was
supposed to attend the Poetry Reunion in Reno
on the Labor Day weekend, I was to give a
reading, but I said no. The cost was great and I
cannot go to two functions so close together.
As it turns out, the hurricane came, so there.

My computer got a worm and most of the
material I had ready, or planned for this issue, is
gone for the time being. It is a sad fact that there
are those that get a charge out of making life a bit
more miserable for others.

I don't have all my reunion plans locked in yet. I
hope that others have everything in the bag, so to
speak. My daily schedule is busier than it has
ever been. In a way I guess I can be thankful.
There are many that don't have anything to do, or
maybe they have too many bad things. I haven't
heard if Al's wife is better. I do know that Jack
has Parkinson's, which is not good news. There
are others in the same boat. You're in our prayers

I lost the notes I had made about my
conversation with Col House. I am trying to do
my best to try to construct other conversations.
My memory being what it is, and with so many
things crowding my mind, it is not easy.

I am building another web site. I hope to
capitalize on my trip to the Arctic Circle, and on
the research I spent five years doing. I have the
site, but it is pretty much blank at the moment.
When I have it operational I will give the web
address and other particulars.

I trust that everyone had a great summer. It's
time to great ready for the fall season. Before you
know it, winter will be on its way. Time seems to
pass so swiftly. I need a day stretcher. Anyone
out there have one? If my budget can stand it, I
will purchase a new printer, one that will do
graphics without the problems of the current

With that I will hope to see many at the reunion.
Have a great time in the meanwhile. Your editor
PRESIDENT: Kathleen Bush; 2223 Colfax;
Breazier; 1130 North Pine; Kingman, KS
67068-1439 SECY/ TREAS: John Plosila
32666-3065 (352) 475-5680. e-mail---
jplosila@juno.com; Web Site:
We have a link to the 9th Web Site.

49th News
The agenda for the reunion arrived. For those
not on the 49th list, registration is $95.00 before
Sept 25th , after, $110.00. The Yucca Mtn and
Hoover Dam tours are $25.00 each. The Nellis
AFB tour, Squadron Breakfast Buffet at the
Hotel, and the Banquet at Nellis, is included in
the registration. Non registered guests at
banquet, $45.00. There are three banquet
selections, London Broil, Orange Roughy,
Chicken Cordon Bleu, and Veggie Fruit Plate.

The Yucca Mtn tour is from 0700 to 1100 on
Wed. Oct. 20th . The squadron breakfast is from
0630 to 0800 Thur. 21st, Board of Directors
Meeting from 0730 to 0830, and Members
Meeting 0830 to 1000 hrs both at the Imperial
Palace, Lunch on your own and the Nellis base
tour starts at 1300 to 1500 hrs from the hotel.
Thursday evening and Friday are free, on your
own. The buses for Nellis leave at 1800, the
banquet is at 1830 and the Speakers are on at
1900 hrs.


Here is Doc's obituary: George E Webster, 93, a
retired physician, died Feb. 15 at his home in
Carmel Valley. He was born Oct 15th, 1909, in
Creston, Iowa, and spent his early years in New
Mexico. Dr. Webster graduated from Stanford
University Medical School and practiced
internal medicine in Santa Rosa and Inglewood.
From 1942 to 1945 Dr. Webster served as a
flight surgeon with the fifth army air force in the
Southwest Pacific Theater. He retired in 1975
and moved to the Carmel valley, where he was
active in the garden club of America. He is
survived by his daughter, Judy Davis of Berkley.
He was preceded in death by his wife of 60
years, Dr. Marion Terwilliger Webster, in 1997,
and his sister, Dorothy Webster in 1998. At his
request, no services were planned. Hope this
helps you. Atch.
(Thanks Atch, John)
There was a call from jack Brody. It seems that I
goofed. I gave everyone his address in the
newsletter but sent his newsletter to his old

He has not received his newsletters for
sometime. Sorry about that Jack, I will try to
print one daily until you are caught up. Do you
remember what was the last edition that you
received? He asked about bob Hoffstatter. I
called Bob and gave him your phone number.
Bob tells me that he has started to use his
prostheses. He can now walk across the room
by using a walker also. Good, we hope this
continues. Bob and I used to attend the reunions
There have been a lot of e-mails from our buddy
Al Meschino. He hasn't said if there has been an
improvement in his wife's condition. We hope
she is doing better.
My name is Jerry Whiting. My wife's uncle,
Chester Phillips, was in the 7th FS from
February to July of '43 before he was transferred
with David Allen, Frank Nichols and some
others to the 431st FS, 475th FG. He was MIA
on 9/8/43 and never returned.
We have a bunch of orders, personnel lists,
etcetera from when he was in the 7th FS. Also
have a V-mail from Major A. White (S2) 49th
FG. Also have photo of 7th FS blackboard with
all the names of the pilots, dated 5/16/43.
Apparently Major White (I'm sure he died many,
many years ago, since he said in his V-mail that
he was a WWI Vet) and a Lt. Murray were his
tent mates, judging from a photo of the tent. Also
have a photo of Frank Nichols with his P-40 and
probably 30 other photos of people and P-40's.
Don't want to give up the originals, but could
probably make decent copies of the photos.
Would like to find out if (Lt.) G.B. Murray is
still alive, among other things and ID the men in
the photos. Some of the photos may have been
taken after Chet was with the 475th, but I'm
convinced most were earlier, due to the P-40's in
the background. I'm assuming many of the
photos are of his pilot buddies, but can't confirm
Let me know if you have any interest in this. (I
contacted the 475th FG a couple of times, but
they apparently had no interest in other
orders/photos, since they never responded. Jerry
Dear John,

I wanted to let you know I fielded the inquiry
from Douglas Rome about his gr. Uncle Lt. Hart.

I learned from Mr. Rome of his intentions of
putting a Memorial marker for his Uncle at the
family farm in Wisconsin.

I was able to refer him to a person at the
Wisconsin Veteran's Administration who
assisted me in doing something similar for my
Uncle Dave (my grand-father Larry Hansen's
brother) who died in a Jap POW camp in the
Philippines June 27, 1942. Dave's remains were
never identified and is listed still as POW/MIA.

Through the Wisconsin Veteran's Administration
and the Wood National Cemetery Staff, my
family had a long overdue Full Honors Military
Funeral for Uncle Dave last October. It was quite
something. I cannot tell you how wonderful the
Staff at Wood Memorial and the Wisconsin VA
were to me. I assume from my experience that
Mr. Douglas Rome is in good hands now.

Also, I do not know if I mentioned it before but
Gordie Burkett and his wife (Pacific Wreck
researchers from Australia) found the remains of
my grandfather's August 1942 bail out/plane
crash earlier this year. There was not much left
of the ship, but enough to determine it was
Larry's. The cockpit seat was still intact. I have
pictures of it someplace I will send to you.

I love your newsletters. Thank you for sending
them to me.
God Bless, Jen
I also fielded Mike Hill's inquiry regarding his
Father, Lt. F. J. Hill who was shot down 31
January 1945 also in the Philippines. My friend
in the Philippines was able to find the crash site
and two witnesses of the crash who were former
Filipino guerillas.

We're almost to the bottom of it right now, but
there is a lot of gray areas, missing records,
apathy and bureaucracy still to deal with. I will
keep you updated if you wish.
One day I was cleaning and out my computer
area and out pops a card. It was from Jim
Konarcik. It was from his great trip to Branson. It
had a nice picture of the museum, but I am
unable to print it. Sorry. I don't remember
responding to this before, if did, sorry for the
I called Dorothea Hillmer after the hurricane to
see if she was still with us. She is, and she said
she did not suffer serious damage. Just debris in
her yard. However, she has a medical problem
and is moving to an assisted living facility. Her
new address is: Mrs. Dorothea Hillmer;
Northport Pines; 4950 Pocatella Ave.; Northport;
FL 34287
Bob Hoffstatter called, he said to say hello to
everyone and that he is making progress. We are
glad to hear that. Our numbers are getting
I lost my call records, so I know I have missed
some calls. It seems that I got a worm in my
computer and it ceased to operate, so I had to
start from the very beginning again. All those of
you who called, please call again, or send a note
so I can include your message the next time. I
don't like to forget anyone. Sorry about that. Last
night I almost got another virus in my computer.


James Keck was the only contributor to our war
chest this period. My heart almost fell when I
saw cash in an envelope. Thanks a bunch Jim,
we sure can use it. For a while I thought the
postoffice was
going to forget about the yearly fee. But no. A
new manager came in and the first thing he
noticed was that the yearly fee had not been paid.
So we put your money toward that fee Jim.
Thanks again Jim.
Our war chest is at its lowest point, if anyone out
there has a buck or two to spare, send it, please
DIARY (Taken of Web Site)
My Stretch in the Service by Lt. L.A.Hansen US
Army Air Corps Serial Number 0-421697
2134 North 52nd Street; Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Mon 12-1-41 Nothing much doing. Things have
been quiet since Stringer and Para went west.
Flew one mission today. Wilson says he'll pull
93 about Wed. As she is in for a 100 hr. Check.
Found out today that three more of 41E are into
the blue. Kaiser in an 047, Jepson in a B18 and
Taylor in a B24. I wonder how many that makes.
Tue 12-2-41 Had a poor formation today. That
guy Brown is out to kill the bunch of us.
Climbing at 130 just aint done in a P40. Played
golf today with Booth, Ott and Dicke. Score not
too good. I'll have to bear down if I want to beat
Wed 12-3-41 Alert for a general. My ship out
and had to fly Burr's. Poor crew chief just
couldn't get her going so I sat and watched. Not
much fun.
Thu 12-4-41 Took off today on Brown's wing,
got to 5000 ft and got so sick that I couldn't see.
Thought sure I was going to pass out but got her
down ok. Must have been that breakfast of
pancakes - too heavy I guess. The more I think
about the more I think old Para had trouble that
way. He was an old boy who should have had no
trouble getting out of a spin. It's queer how you
think that will never happen to you. Not pride
but the mind just won't think about that stuff.
Sort of a protective measure I guess - good thing.
Fri 12-5-41 One mission left - not much else
doing - should have had more instrument time
but BC-1 out so still lack 1:15 for my eight
Sat 12-6-41 Capt Mac went with us on a wing
problem today. Intercept room error made us
miss. Good flight - fine formation - air calm at
9500 ft. Capt good man to fly off of. Lands a bit
slow. Wish Burr's ship had a flap indicator hate
to use full flaps. My ship should be in by Wed at
least. Xmas shopping about done. Up to the
club - Wish Jeanne were here.
Sun 12-7-41 Wow what a day. Went up into the
alert room with Duke and about 3:00 heard that
the Japs had bombed Pearl Harbor and Wake
Island and Hawaii. Went down to the hangar
found Maj Weyland, tried to find some of the
43rd. All at La Vinta or El Valla. Ott and me
took an alert flight to 10,000 ft and patrolled
until dark. Came in for 1st night landing - it
wasn't too good but came out all right. Now
have 1:30 night time in a P40. Went up again at
6:00 Mon.
Mon 12-8-41 Hear that the Phillippines got a
going over by 80 to 100 Jap bombers but that
they had downed 40 of them. Got a Jap plane
carrier too. Nice going. Hear losses over there
are bad - hope to gosh Dave is OK. Ma can't
stand much of this with her heart. Can't get
personal telegrams through Army now so will
have to go down tonight if we don't fly. Another
alert at 1:30 for the 43rd. I am expecting
Germany& Italy to take a crack at us very soon.
I guess I won't be getting married for quite some
time now. Poor Jeanne she had planned on this
so much it hurts to have this happen.
Tue 12-9-41 Nothing much doing. Alert calls
all day. We get off inside of 5 min.
Wed 12-10-41 Went down to hangar at 12:00
Midnight for an alert call. A B18 did not report
in. When we got there Dutrach said "let's wind
up the windows, we may be back". Famous last
words. He's a fine boy. I don't know what I'd
do if it weren't for him. Jeanne's birthday. 21
and very lovely. Wish I could see her.
Thu 12-11-41 Alert flights - off at 5:30 down at
7:30. It's my first night flying in a P40 and it
really keeps me hopping.
Fri 12-12-41 Didn't fly this morning. Only the
24th just for about 30 min. Still on alert about
24 hrs a day living in hangar.
Sat 12-13-41 Couldn't get started today. Engine
wouldn't start. It's OK now. Johnson got a prop
because he got into mud and nosed over.
Sun 12-14-41 Flew patrol as usual. Lost
Ash in a cloud but found him later. Getting used
to night formations Puerto Rico boys came in
today. They have never fired their guns - have
little or no night flying & ground looped two of
their ships coming in to Albrook or Howard.
Mon 12-15-41 Patrol duty out of rain & mud.
Nothing new yet. Hear Japs are taking a beating.
Good - it'll do em good.
Tue 12-16-41 Up at 5:00 A.M. flew at 6:00
because of mud - Good flight. Ash on whose
wing I land - brings them in at 105 with full
flaps. Fine thing!!!
Wed 12-17-41 Alert flight at 5:45 again. Up for
about 2 hours nothing doing. Am getting used to
Ash landing so slow but not used to his climbing
so slow. Managed to get off at 1:00 today till 5
AM Thurs.
Thu 12-18-41 Flight at 5:45 again. On the
landing we made a blind approach between the
two hills at the edge of the field and got away
with it OK. On readiness for a while this
afternoon. Things are looking up. Have been
finding water in gas tanks. About 8 gals per
tank. Liable to kill someone.
12-19-41 Alert flights as usual. That damn
Johnson has had me transferred to the 37th Gr at
Chorrera. I suppose it's because of the past few
incidents that forced me to leave the formation. I
don't like it but I guess there's nothing else for
me to do. Gilmore got it too. Damn those H.P's.
I'll be losing good old Wilson and my 93.
Sat 12-20-41 Outcast officer so no flying for me.
Saw a poor show and went to bed.
Sun 12-21-41 Up to Chorrera. Find I am flying
an "E". Seems slow as hell but I guess I'll get
used to it. Found out that it should be run at 30-
35" merc instead of 25 to 30 as in the "C".
Mon 12-22-41 Landed at Albrook last night and
saw another poor show. Up at 4:00 - flying from
6:00 to 8:00. Test fired the six 50 cal. Guns on
my ship today. Wow, what it must be like to be
on the receiving end of that. Letters tonight to
thank people for Xmas presents I"ve received.
All of them are swell to get. All can be used.
Tue 12-23-41 On alert but no flights as yet. It's
3:10 in the afternoon and believe it or not we
were playing jacks. Tomorrow night's Xmas eve
and we have off from 1:00 till five the next
morning. Hope we get down to Albrook.
Wed 12-24-41 No flying yet today. Just getting
corns where I sit from lack of something to do.
Managed to get into Albrook for Xmas Eve.
Went to a show and was in bed by 11:00.
Thu 12-25-41 Up at 4:00 to get down to the
hangar by 5:00. On alert but slept til 8:30 & flew
a patrol til 10:45 & then landed at Chorrera
where we spent the rest of Xmas sweating. Fine
meal but it just aint right with no snow. I am
going to have to land that ship of mine slower
than I have been. I almost overran the field
today. Wonder how the P39's are going to get in
and out of here. Am flying on Ross's wing now
in "tail horse" position. Nice place to be. I have
been getting queer ideas on how to get home on
leave. Have to get rid of them. If Jeanne were
here it'd be alright. Wonder how Dave is doing.
Fri 12-26-41 On alert til 9:00 today and then
again at 1:00 til 7:00 PM. Fine weather - nothing
doing. Still nothing doing at 8:00 PM. Off alert
at 7:00 and on again at 5:00 in the morning. Am
writing letter to my gal. Wish to gosh she was
here. Xmas & New Year's just aren't right away
from home.
Sat 12-27-41 Heard about a raise in pay for the
officers that should boost our pay to about
300.00 a month. Sure hope it goes through. We
are on alert til 9:00 and then off from 1:00 to
5:00 AM Sunday. It sounds alright from here.
I'll take another show I guess. Tomorrow or the
next day we are due to have 80 new flying
officers & P-39's in here. 25 of them are coming
up to Chorrera. Wonder if any are from our old
Sun 12-28-41 On alert at 5:00 again. Sat on our
butts til 9:50 then came on back to Chorrera. We
found Cols Gilhesen & Randall waiting for us.
They ate Lt Smith out for waiting for the control
officer to order us off. That damn Randall
should get one good kick in the butt. Poor Smith
isn't to blame but that makes little difference to
him. Smith gets married on Tuesday.
Mon 12-29-41 Still no sign of Smith since he
went back to Albrook with Gilhesen and
Randall. Hope they don't do anything to hold up
his marriage. Still no sign of the P39's that
should have been here some time ago. Wonder
what's holding them up. This is a very boring
Tue 12-30-41 Ho zob!!! For a change we got off
on a flight today at 8:20. It was just a short job
but better than nothing. I think we have a
gunnery mission at 1:00 til 2:00 today. Smith
gets married today. Sure wish it was Jeanne and
I but it'll have to wait til ma sells the Nash.
Wed 1-31-41 Well we floated Smith into
marriage today. A fine job we did if I do say so.
Got down to the hangar & found battery on my
ship way down. Went off & got A.K. Hansen's
while they got my ship going & then went back
to Chorrera. Made a good landing. Find glides
best with 3/4 flaps at 130 & still have enough
field to land in.
Thu 1-1-42 On alert flight at 8:00 til 9:40.
Engine rough as a cob. I am going out & run it
up after he changes the plugs. Found a letter
from Jeanne today. Old Bill Luetzow got it the
27th of Dec. It isn't hard to figure what
happened to him. Try to stay under an overcast
and above the hills in a fog in a strange ship.
"Errare Humanum Est". I'll bet he is laughing at
us from up there. Nothing much to do today.
Should be off tomorrow so I'll be able to play
some pool with Gilmore.


Many can remember this one, I hope you are one.

The photographer for a national magazine was
assigned to get photos of a great forest fire.
Smoke at the scene was too thick to get any good
shots, so he frantically called his home office to
hire a plane.

"It will be waiting for you at the airport!" he was
assured by his editor.

As soon as he got to the small, rural airport, sure
enough, a plane was warming up near the
runway. He jumped in with his equipment and
yelled, "Let's go! Let's go!" The pilot swung the
plane into the wind and soon they were in the air.

"Fly over the north side of the fire," said the
photographer, "and make three or four low level

"Why?" asked the pilot.

"Because I'm going to take pictures! I'm a
photographer, and photographers take pictures!"
said the photographer with great exasperation
and impatience. After a long pause the pilot said,
"You mean you're not the instructor?"
When the 7th arrived in Australia we were
billeted at Camp Darley. Lt. Robert Morrisey,
our commander at that time, did all the leading.

I don't remember where we started the march
from, nor the reason why, I can only say that
after our stay aboard ship it was a painful march
to Camp Darley. We had gone about ten miles,
and the blisters on my heels were much larger
than silver dollars. I finally reached a point
where I could march no longer. Needless to say,
when I sat down, many others joined the sit-
down. This was bad.

Now this is where Lt. Morrisey came into the
picture. Unknown to many were the skills and
understanding of the Lt. and how he wouldsolve
this predicament. He knew that if he got
me angry enough, I would go on sheer nervous
energy. And I did, it was just a little more than a
mile when Camp Darley came into sight. We had
made it, blisters and all.

There were cold showers at the camp, and the
sleeping pads were filled with straw. At that
point in time it didn't matter, I was dog tired, and
my feet hurt so bad it didn't really matter. I just
lay down and fell asleep, pain and all.

The next day I couldn't get my boots on and the
doctor now had another patient. He worked a
miracle, and in no time at all, the feet were back
in shape. When I asked Lt. Morrisey why he did
it, he laughed and said that he knew if he got me
angry enough I would march, blisters or not. And
it worked. I had now learned how adept Bob was
at getting things done.


Rescue Without Risk?

The Lord will rescue me from every evil and save
me for his heavenly kingdom. To him be the glory
for ever and ever. Timothy 4:18

My granddaughter Vannessa was a counselor with
a student group in New York. She heard what she
thought was a scream. It seemed to be coming from
the ocean. Being night, and too dark to see, she
carefully ran down the steps, across the beach to
the water's edge. Because of the pitch darkness, the
distant screams a blur, she delayed, but only for a
moment. She threw off her shoes, forgetting her
own safety, she plunged in to save what turned out
to be a drowning girl. Others dove in to help.
Vanny said, "I had to do it. Someone was dying!"

Because of the courageous young woman, the
selfless choice made a big difference, a life was
saved. Scared? Though risky, she was the one
who could do something. She did. This agonizing
condition became more important to her than her
own comfort and safety.

It's always that way when there's a rescue. A
person drowning, trapped in a building fire or the
rubble of an earthquake. There's no rescue without
risk. This includes the most critical rescue of
someone who is dying spiritually because they
don't know Jesus. Only He can rescue a person
from the death penalty of sin.

Jesus knows there's no rescue without risk. In
Mark 10:45 it says, He came "to give His life as a
ransom for many." Later He said to His followers,
"As the Father has sent Me, I am sending you"
John 20:21. Jesus was sent to lay down His life so
others could live. Now He's sending you and me on
the same rescue mission. He died to do whatever it
takes to try and bring some people you know to
heaven. Jesus left the comfort of heaven, the
greatest comfort zone in the universe, just to rescue
you and me. You are to leave your comfort zone to
rescue someone you care about.

Your mission is portrayed in Proverbs 24:11
"Rescue those being led away to death; hold back
those staggering toward slaughter." This is a
life-or-death business, like on the beach that dark,
dangerous night. You won't take the risks unless
you realize that if you don't, that person may very
well die without hope.

Second Thessalonians 1:9 says, "He died so they
don't have to die, because they haven't reached for
the rescuer. Be the rescuer, they need to hear about
Him from you!

It's time to build a relationship with a lost person
you know. Spend time, or write a letter about Jesus.
Pray for opportunities to share life's most important
relationship. Share the cross where God poured
out His love for all.

Don't wait for a professional lifeguard to do it. Like
Vannessa on the beach, God has put you in the
position to be someone's rescuer. It's life-or-death,
you'll know what you have to do. Don't stand on
the beach, save a life.


In the beginning God covered the earth with
broccoli, cauliflower and spinach, combined with
an abundance of green, yellow and red vegetables.
He did this so that Man and Woman would live
long and healthy lives.

Then, using God's bountiful gifts, Satan created
Dairy Queen and Tim Horton's. And Satan said:
"You want hot fudge with that?" And Man said:
"Yes!" And Woman said: "I'll have one, too. With
sprinkles." And low and behold they gained 10
And God created the healthful yogurt that
Woman might keep the figure that Man found so
fair. And Satan brought forth white flour from the
wheat, and sugar from the cane, and combined
them. And Woman went from size 2 to size 14.
So God said: "Try my fresh green garden salad."
And Satan presented crumbled Bleu Cheese
dressing and garlic toast on the side. And Man and
Woman unfastened their belts following the
God then said: "I have sent you heart-healthy
vegetables and olive oil in which to cook them."
And Satan brought forth deep-fried coconut
shrimp, butter-dipped lobster chunks, and
chicken-fried steak so big it needed its own
platter. And Man's cholesterol went through the

Then God brought forth the potato, naturally low
in fat and brimming with potassium and good
nutrition. Then Satan peeled off the healthful skin,
sliced the starchy center into chips and deep-fried
them in animal fats, adding copious quantities of
salt. And Man packed on more pounds.
God then brought forth running shoes so that his
children might lose those extra pounds. And Satan
introduced cable TV with remote control so Man
would not have to toil changing the channels. And
Man and Woman laughed and cried before the
flickering light and started wearing stretchy lycra
jogging suits.
God then gave lean beef so that Man might
consume fewer calories and still satisfy his
appetite. And Satan created McDonald's and the
99-cent double cheeseburger. Then Satan said:
"You want fries with that?" And Man replied:
"Yes! And super size 'em!" And Satan said: "It is
good." And Man and Woman went into cardiac
arrest. God sighed...and created quadruple by-pass
surgery. Satan chuckled and created The HMO
An 85 year old couple, having been married
almost 60 years, had died in a car crash. They had been
in good health the last ten years mainly due to her
interest in health food and exercise.

When they reached the pearly gates, St. Peter took
them to their mansion which was decked out with
a beautiful kitchen and master bath suite and

As they "oohed and aahed" the old man asked St.
Peter how much all this was going to cost. "It's
free," St. Peter replied, "this is Heaven."

Next they went out back to survey the champion-
ship golf course that the home backed up to. They
would have golfing privileges everyday and each
week the course changed to a new one representing
the greatest golf courses on earth. The old man
asked, "What are the green fees?" St. Peter's reply,
"This is heaven, you play for free."

Next they went to the club house and saw the
lavish buffet lunch with the cuisines of the world
laid out. "How much does it cost to eat?" asked the
old man. "Don't you understand yet? This is
heaven, it's free!" St. Peter replied with some

"Well, where are the low fat and low cholesterol
tables?" the old man asked timidly. St. Peter
lectured, "That's the best part. You can eat as much
as you like of whatever you like and you never get
fat and you never get sick. This is Heaven."

With that the old man went into a fit of anger,
throwing down his hat and stomping on it,
shrieking wildly. St. Peter and the old man's wife
both tried to calm him down, asking him what was
wrong. The old man looked at his wife and said,
"It's all your fault! It's all your fault!"

His wife said, "My fault? What are you talking
about?" He yelled, "If it weren't for your blasted
bran muffins, I could have been here ten years
Golf balls and beer

A professor stood before his Philosophy 101 class
and had some items in front of him. When the class
began, wordlessly, he picked up a very large and
empty mayonnaise jar and proceeded to fill it with
golf balls. He then asked the students if the jar
was full? They agreed that it was. So the professor
then picked up a box of pebbles and poured them
into the jar. He shook the jar lightly. The pebbles,
of course, rolled into the open areas between the
golf balls. He then asked the students again if the
jar was full. They agreed it was.

The professor picked up a box of sand and poured
it into the jar. Of course, the sand filled up
everything else. He then asked once more if the
jar was full. The students responded with a
unanimous - - yes.

The professor then produced two cans of beer
from under the table and proceeded to pour the
entire contents into the jar effectively filling the
empty space between the sand. The students

Now," said the professor, as the laughter subsided,
"I want you to recognize that this jar represents
your life. The golf balls are the important thing,
your family, your partner, your health, your
children, your friends, your favorite passions - -
things that if everything else was lost and only
they remained, your life would still be full." "The
pebbles are the other things that matter like your
job, your house, your car. The sand is everything
else - - the small stuff." "If you put the sand into
the jar first," he continued, "there is no room for
the pebbles or the golf balls. The same goes for
your life. If you spend all your time and energy on
the small stuff, you will never have room
for the things that are important to you. Pay
attention to the things that are critical to your
happiness. Play with your children. Take time to
get medical checkups. Take your partner out
dancing. Play another 18. There will always be
time to go to work, clean the house, give a dinner
party and fix the disposal." "Take care of the golf
balls first - - the things that really matter. Set your
priorities. The rest is just sand." One of the
students raised her hand and inquired what the

The professor smiled. "I'm glad you asked. It just
goes to show you that no matter how full your life
may seem, there's always room for a couple of
A blonde was shopping at a Target Store and came
across a silver thermos. She was quite fascinated by
it, so she picked it up and brought it over to
the clerk to ask what it was. The clerk said, "Why,
that's a thermos.....it keeps things hot and some
things cold." "Wow, said the blonde, "that's
amazing....I'm going to buy it!" So she bought the
thermos and took it to work the next day. Her boss
saw it on her desk. "What's that,' he asked? "Why,
that's a thermos.....it keeps hot things hot and
cold things cold," she replied. Her boss inquired,
"What do you have in it?" The blond replied," Two
popsicles, and some coffee!"
Why did the blonde resolve to have only 3
children? She heard that 1 out of every 4 children
born in the world was Chinese.
Did you hear about the near-tragedy at the mall?
There was a power outage, and twelve blondes
were stuck on the escalators for over four hours.
NOTE: In the Chaplains column I decided to
put an image, and change the text. It resulted in
some goofs in the text. Delete the last line.

Two guys are moving about in a supermarket when
their carts collide. The first one says to the other,
"Sorry about that, I'm looking for my wife and I
guess I wasn't watching where I was going. The
other guy says, "What a coincidence, I'm looking
for my wife too, and I'm getting a little desperate."
The first guy says "Well, maybe I can help you.
What does your wife look like?" The second guy
answers, "She's tall, with red hair, wet blue eyes,
long legs, big firm breasts, and a tight butt. What
does your wife look like?" To which the first guy
replies, "Never mind, let's look for yours."
Three dead bodies turn up at the mortuary, all with
very big smiles on their faces. The coroner calls
the police to tell them what has happened.

First body: Frenchman, 60, died of heart failure
while making love to his mistress. Hence the
enormous smile, Inspector, says the Coroner.
Second body: "Scotsman, 25, won a thousand
dollars on the lottery, spent it all on whisky. Died
of alcohol poisoning, hence the smile."
The Inspector asked, "What of the third body?"
"Ah," says the coroner, "this is the most unusual
one. Billy-Bob the redneck from Arkansas, 30,
struck by lightning."
"Why is he smiling then?" inquires the Inspector.
"Thought he was having his picture taken."


During WWII, American industry produced
34,780 long range bombers for the US Army Air
Forces, plus many thousands of fighters and other
airplanes. Later, during the early years of the cold
war era the US Air force accepted 400 B-36s, 200
B-47s, 750 B-52s and 115 B-58s. Since 1992,
though, no purchases of bombers have been made
or planned. The most recent bombers, 100 B-1s
and B-2s were accepted over a decade ago.
Inevitably, the bomber fleet has aged and shrank.

Currently, the USAF is obliged to make do with
157 bombers, of which only 96 are kept combat
ready. USAF leaders loyally contend that these are
adequate because today's planes and their
weapons are more potent than ever before. While
this is true, there is no credible substitute for our
axiom for victory from Americas Civil War to
"Get there the Firstest! With the Mostest."
Unexpected combat loses, or unpredictable
structural fatigue failures, or un-imagined
technical surprise by an enemy, could leave us
without any margin to absorb loses.

Furthermore, our planes are now obliged to fly
much further. The shut down of foreign bases in
recent years has necessitated the longest flights
ever flown. The most recent being in 2002 and
2003 to the conflicts in Afghanistan and Iraq. That
has translated into a lot of extra wear and tear on
the equipment. It would have been greater yet, if
Congresses in years past had not funded a large
fleet of refueling tankers. That has spared combat
loaded planes from having to land en-route to gas

The almost sure agreement to acquire 100 new
Boeing 767 tankers has fallen through, although
with some scandal attached. On November 24,
2003, two very high officials were fired for having
conspired to improperly obtain that contract for
Boeing. Then about a month ago, the Secretary of
Defense put the whole deal on hold to investigate it
thoroughly. In the meanwhile, suffering from age,
almost one third of the 544 KC-135s are in depot
maintenance at any one time. While the USA has
hesitated, Italy ordered four KC-767 tankers from
Boeing, with the first delivery due in 2005.

On the positive side, USAF, as of May 2004, has
taken delivery of 113 of 180 C-17 transports that
were ordered. So far, C-17 reliability and capability
has exceeded expectations. Its service both in
Afghanistan and Iraq has been beyond admirable.

This information is made available to your editor
through the generous gift of Col Walter Dorrer.
Thanks Walter, I will start using some of your
stories in the next edition. Hope you are holding in
there. We all hope you had a great summer, and are
looking forward to the coming fall and winter. We
will miss you at the reunion. John